Finished - a jumper I'll actually wear - the decropped Jo Sharp crop top

My knitting the last 12 months has been slow, intermittent and often painful due to a chronic tendinitis issue but I'm persevering and managed a couple of months ago to finish this fluffy, muppet-like jumper based on a pattern by Jo Sharp.



The pattern is the 311 Yoke Crop Top pattern, not actually reviewed on Ravelry, but downloadable from the Jo Sharp website here. I was drawn to this pattern because of the promise of a fast knit on chunky 9mm needles (I bought some Addi turbo needles - so fast, the Ferrari of needles!), and I loved the collar. The pattern uses 2 strands of yarn knitted together, an 8ply, which seems to be the most common ply manufactured in Australia, and a chunky 12 ply mohair, the idea being that the fluff of the mohair fills in the gaps made by knitting 8 ply on such big needles. 


I wanted a chunky tan jumper last year, so found this discontinued Cleckheaton 8 ply off Ebay for a very reasonable price. It's a merino-silk-angora blend, called Ochre. It is, I'm well aware, a rather poo-brown but with lovely coloured flecks, and combined with this cream Rowan Kid Silk Haze trio makes (in my opinion!) a lovely heathery marled fabric. I made the middle size, B.



I felt that a cropped, short sleeved chunky jumper was not a sensible wardrobe piece, so extended the length of the body and sleeves. It's knitted bottom up, and foolishly I didn't think to make my rib hem band on smaller needles so it's a little sloppy looking, but otherwise I'm really delighted with my jumper. I believe I'll actually wear this one! And it was quick - I'd say it took me about a month, which for me is super quick. 


The construction is different to the other jumpers I've made - body in the round, bottom up, until the armpits. It is then split into front and back with some decreases back and forth to create armscye shaping. The sleeves are knitted flat, then the seams sewn up. A sleeve cap is shaped, much like a sewn garment, then the remaining live stitches at the top of the sleeve cap are added to the body stitches and all joined up together and continued in the round to finish the yoke. There's a little bit of sleeve stitching then the collar is picked up and knitted from the cast off neckline. It's not the most specific of patterns (in that the instructions might say to increase or decrease but not give a recommended method), but it's pretty simple and came together nicely I think. I'm happy with the fit on be but comparing my collar position to the picture it seems to be sitting a little higher - perhaps my row gauge was a little out.



It's warm and lovely to wear but sheds appallingly. I guess that's the mohair content (according to some of my elderly clients keeping mohair in the freezer is the way to go - stops one shedding on one's beau apparently!). 

Next on my needles is my Square and Stripes but I'm also in love with these two beauties - such texture!:

 
1 - Source
2 - Source

The never ending queue continues to grow....








Comments

  1. One month is fast! I like your version better than the original - it makes so much more sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for fuzzy muppet jumpers! I love the colours you've used, the marled effect is really nice. Giving it long sleeves and lengthening it definitely makes sense, I've never understood warm jumpers with short sleeves! That cardigan is gorgeous, I've added it to my ever-growing ravelry queue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing? I bought the pattern quickly I got whiplash!

      Delete
  3. I love love love a fleck. I'm tempted to try this... but I must remember I favour sewing over knitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just not enough tweedy flecky yarn out there! It's a great portable craft though, this ones so easy!

      Delete
  4. Love it! I'm a sucker for different yarns knit together, makes me feel like the finished product is more unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so comfy and soft - I bet it gets a ton of wear. I love the colour you chose too as I imagine it will do with so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous of your knitting! I'd love to be able to make sweaters, but so far I've only made a scarf and a hat (with several attempts at socks). I love the shape and the colors of your yarns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so easy Katie! If you can knit, purl and knit in the round you can make it!

      Delete
  7. I love how this sweater came up. The bottom band is perhaps loose, but I think it works with the overall shape beautifully and I can imagine feeling very snuggly on a winters day in this. And you know you have to knit up Flaum, right? Like, now, right away. I can't because I'm mid project, so you gotta take one for the team ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm mid project too! But it's going in the queue..... I've got some lovely shibui linen for another project too so that might be a better summ knit..... Choices choices!

      Delete
  8. Ooh this is lovely! And I agree with you, a cropped, short-sleeved chunky jumper seems a bit pointless really! Although I do remember having some mohair short-sleeved tight sweaters in the 90s! I hope your tendinitis problem clears up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn - I had a mohair short sleeved jumper too in the 90's! Powder blue. My cat adored it too!

      Delete
  9. Ooh this is lovely! And I agree with you, a cropped, short-sleeved chunky jumper seems a bit pointless really! Although I do remember having some mohair short-sleeved tight sweaters in the 90s! I hope your tendinitis problem clears up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your jumper! ... is one of those simple pieces one finds itself to wear the most in the end. and I like the slightly flared shape it works super well with the shape of the collar.
    ps. those two patterns in the end go straight into my also neverending queue :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! They're such beautiful patterns aren't they? I should check out what else is in your queue!

      Delete
  11. Now that's a jumper I can imagine being loved for years! I love the combination of yarns; it's a lovely effect. Is that first photo one of the new Brooklyn Tweed patterns? It looks like the one that's on my wish list too. Mind you, I have to finish my Peabody first...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle - don't you think that there's a real niche for an Australian yarn company to do more tweedy combos? I must admit I emailed Bendigo wooden mills a while ago to tell them to 'trend up'! I that the first jumper pattern is from the last BT collection. I'm not sure if my skills are up to it, but the cardi looks quite easy!

      Delete
  12. Gosh, this is lovely! How clever knitting the 2 yarns together... I've got so much to learn! And not that I've ever knitted a jumper, but I can definitely relate to that satisfaction of finishing something and it slotting into your wardrobe effortlessly. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny - I've knitted a few now, and despite them for the most part being, let's be honest, a bit shit I still feel ridiculously proud of them! This is my first one that I think doesn't look completely handmade! I'm very pleased with it!

      Delete

Post a Comment