Finished - the Borderline Frumpy Cardigan

Hello lovelies, today I bring you a finished project that is nine parts lovely, one part frump.  This is the Style Arc Fiona cardigan, and was the free pattern for June. It's a dolman sleeve cardi with a wide band binding the neckline and hem in one. Its actually very similar to the Mouse House Julia cardigan, except for the dolman sleeves. Honestly the main reason I chose it over the Julia was it was free, and I didn't have to print and trace it out!

It was very easy to make, very well drafted as Style Arc patterns generally seem to be. I wanted a really warm neutral coloured cardigan, and made this out of a boiled wool with a small amount of stretch that I purchased a couple of weeks ago at the Fabric Store. It was a Kate Sylvester (a New Zealand fashion designer) fabric, certainly not cheap but really gorgeous quality. It's hard to describe the colour as it changes in different lights, but most often it is a muted blue-grey, and wonderfully warm. I think I purchased 1.6m and basically had only scraps left - it's quite a fabric hungry pattern because of the curved neckband and the dolman sleeves. 


The band of the cardigan folds over to create a shawl collar. I found my collar didn't really want to stay put, so I have stitched it in place in the centre back of the neck, blindly, and that seems to have done the trick. I also extended the cuff pieces significantly to make it long sleeved, and can fold them back for the 3/4 sleeve length that the pattern comes with. 


Style wise I do think it's a whiff on the frumpy side, and I think it's the length. If I make it again I'll have to nut out a way to shorten it - but that will involve shortening the neck band too, so will require some thought! What do you think? I just feel that especially the back view would be a little more flattering if the finished length is at the seam of the binding....

 

Anyway, it's very toasty and right now that's what I need. It was perfect for our recent weekend away to unseasonably chilly Sydney - where I picked up this treasure:


Can you imagine my excitement? If you, like me, must have one I've seen them online here. Expect to see this creepy critter to pop up here regularly from now on. 

Also sneaking into this post is another version of the Tessuti Mandy boat tee. I've made so many alterations to this pattern now that it's pretty much unrecognisable from the original pattern but perfect for me. This version I've taken some more width out of the tee at side seams, tapering from nothing at the armpit to about 3-4cm at the hemline, adding some shaping. I've done my little curved hem treatment on it too, and I love the finished fit on it:



 I'm thinking it will be a great shape for summer too, without sleeves. Love this pattern. 

Oh look!


She looks great in a tee too! haha!



Comments

  1. I actually like this. I have a whole bunch of comfy 'evening' cardigans that live on the back of my bedroom door that only get used indoors, not quite 'bed jackets' but needs must! . We live in a draughty, old Victorian house so they come in pretty handy. Maybe this'll be your go-to house jacket. Back shape really cute and does look super comfy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I have been wearing it non-stop, so that says it all, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. I have to agree I really like this although I do understand, I have a similar cardigan which I bought a while ago and I find myself not wearing it as I worry about the frump factor. I always think with my cardie that the issue is the length and it would be great if it were quite a bit longer.I think lengthening would work well with this pattern as it does have a great shape at the back. For additional detail you could then maybe add some pockets too (getting carried away now...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about inseam pockets..... My main frump barometer is the husbo - he's not said much about it, so I figure if mustn't be too bad!

      Delete
  3. I love the cardi - actually think the length is perfect and the colour is a great go-with-everything. I even like the dolman sleeves and I don't usually! Great tee too, I need to try this pattern. Obviously into the kitty hanger, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - ha I knew you'd love the hangar!

      Delete
  4. I don't think it looks frumpy at all, but the back length might work better a bit shorter. It does seem a little awkward at that length, but the front length is great and I think would look a bit weird shorter. Glad you had a toasty weekend in Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian, ideally I'd leave the front as is, and shorten the back but it might not be physically possible..... Maybe it's just I'm not used to a mullet hem!

      Delete
  5. I actually like the length, but then I prefer my cardis to cover the butt unless they're specifically a cropped fit. (Maybe I'm in personal frump denial ;) ) But it doesn't look like it would be too tricky to shorten if that's more your thing. The fabric is sublime...I'm planning a trip to the Fabric Store next week, and now I'm even more excited to go! (PS: what was the name of that shop you mentioned where you bought your Alannah Hill stretchywear fabric?? I think that one needs to be visited also...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle! I may or may not have bought 4 metres of merino at their recent 40% off sale too! And the other store is Clear It, literally about 3 shops north of the Fabric Store, on the corner. The fabric is upstairs and to the right - you just have to maneouvre the rammed in Dangerfield and Alannah Hill stuff to find it! Good luck and let me know what you get (I love vicarious fabric shopping!).

      Delete
  6. I don’t think it looks frumpy at all! If it weren’t way too hot for my liking here, and I weren’t allergic to wool, I would be tempted by it! It looks so comfy and cosy, but in a stylish way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks awesome! And that cat does creep me out... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps - yeah she's a creepy lady - but I'm getting used to her!

      Delete
  8. I love the front of it and love the look of the fabric. Sometimes I wish someone would invent a way for a us to feel the fabric on the computer or open up more fabric shops in Canberra! Love ALL your Mandies. And yes, that cat is a bit freaky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty - that's why I'm really not a big fan of online fabric shopping.... its so important to feel the fabric. This one is just lovely - I've never found boiled wool knit before and its the perfect weight for a card!

      Delete
  9. Lovely cardi! I have a similar burda pattern I've had my eye on, might look again at that now. It looks lovely on you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo -its a really clever design! Do it!

      Delete
  10. I like these two pieces together quite a bit! Call me boring but I never get tired of grey. Figuring out how to take length out of the cardigan is making my brain hurt a little bit (just finishing up the work day), but I'm sure you'll figure it out. I think longer could be cool, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morgan - I love the colour too - I'm all about grey and blue right now. It seems to go with so many other colours this particular shade. I almost left it behind because it looked almost mauve in the shop....

      Delete
  11. I actually don't mind the cardi length and think you certainly are not in "frump" realm. It's funny how just the smallest garment adjustments can mean the difference between frump and fabulous. That cat hanger is something else indeed! I like it in a kind of perverse way! Sorry Sydney put on such a chilly one for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexi - I literally have worn it nearly every day so I think it's a winner, but I would love shorten the next one at the back.... Next winter! I love my kitty too - she's hilarious!

      Delete

Post a Comment