Finished - A silken Minute

This is one of those makes that I wished I'd finished months and months ago - but alas it's lovely silky summery goodness will have to wait another 6 months or so to be worn in high rotation (or I shall have to go on a tropical holiday, which would be fine).

A very long time ago (at least 18 months) a very stylish and tasteful lady (let's call her Past Sarah) bought herself a precious metre of the most beautiful printed silk at her local fabric store. This silk was part of the beginning of The Stash, and has since been pulled out, refolded, and put back into The Stash many times until Current Sarah felt confident enough to do it justice. Initially I had planned to make a Wiksten Tank with it, but instead decided the simple lines and stress-free construction of the Aime Comme Marie Minute top would be more a more useful piece. It's the most beautiful soft, slinky, lush fabric. I adore it.


I've made this pattern once before (blogged here) and wear it quite a bit - I just wished it was a little bit longer. It's a very simple kimono tee, nothing too difficult or technical, which is just what I wanted with my beautiful silk (the pattern is great value too - with 2 sleeve options and a colour blocking option, plus they claim it's suitable for knits as well as wovens - only 4 Euros!). I've only sewn with silk twice before - once to make the lining of my pink New Look 6000 dress, and my recent silk jersey green dress. I followed the Colette suggestion of spraying it with a stiffening spray (often used in quilting and appliqué) to make the fabric less slippery which worked very well (although if I use this again on a solid fabric I'll have to do a test run as it does seem to spot the fabric a bit - not a big deal as this fabric is printed in splatters anyway....).


This time I didn't bother with colour blocking. I just added a little more width to the hips and some length, but otherwise it is the straight size small. This time I constructed it slightly differently. I used self-fabric bias to finish the neckline, but instead of making up the top then doing the neckline I finished the front and back necklines separately first. I thought I was less likely to stretch it out and it would be slightly easier with the slippery fabric (it also meant I didn't need to bother with stay stitching). I struggle sometimes with finishing the neckline nicely when it is a boat neck - that sharp angle at the shoulder seam can be a bit tricky, so I did them separately, then just made it up as normal, with french seams. I also did a narrow hem on the sleeves once I'd done the shoulder seams, but before the side seams to make it a little easier too. I know it's not as neat inside, but if someone is that close to me to be checking out the insides of my top then I've probably other things to worry about.....


It's just the most lightest, prettiest fabric. I'm so glad I didn't mess it up!



I have worn it in the cooler weather with a camisole and cardi, but the cold days are now upon us, so it will now go back into the wardrobe to be stroked and admired until my Preferred Temperature Range of 25-30C is back...... meanwhile the Autumn/Winter sewing plans continue to be realised....

Comments

  1. simple summer tops are the best. Although I guess its getting cold for you? Seriously though, these types of tops which sew up quickly and just drape around your body are my favorite to make and wear. Easy sewing satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelli! It's just starting to get fresh here, but I really cannot complain after the winter you guys have had in the north! I don't think we will be getting a polar vortex here! Maybe I'll try my top over a thermal!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, that's just beautiful! I'm so glad you finally made up this piece of fabric. What a great top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail - I knew it would be right up your alley!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! Best to use a simple pattern with such a lovely print. Loving those sleeves too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy - I do love a cut on sleeve, so easy!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful!!! I am so jealous! I love the top and know I surely would botch a job like that. Such a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely beautiful! The fabric is gorgeous and you've really done it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Beautiful fabric and a very simple pattern to show that fabric off, you look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Eline - it's a very flattering pattern I think!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous top and the fabric looks really luscious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sara - it really is! Now I understand what all the fuss is about silk!

      Delete
  8. All your finishing looks beautiful and tidy from here! You did that gorgeous fabric proud. I wonder what your next aspirational fabric will be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morgan. I've got an amazing digital print coming up soon in my queue...... So many fabrics, so little time!

      Delete
  9. Wow, this is absolutely gorgeous!!
    I can see why you hung on for the right pattern with this juicy little silken-print. I love the abstract yet floral design and the colour is delightful. As you are starting to pack away your lovely summery clothes and think about the next autumn season; I have got my act together to finally finish a lovely vintage dress that has been sitting around for a few little fixes. Check out the lovely vintage print here: http://carolinejoynson.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/vintage-dress-fix.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! You dress looks great - so ingenious of you :)

      Delete
  10. If I was you I'd still be wearing this right now.. who cares if it's just a tad chilly. Looks just so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty! Wish I could toughen up and do it! :)

      Delete
  11. Lovely indeed! You showed that fabric who was boss. I'm the same with fabrics, I still have some Marimekko I purchased on holiday in Finland a few years back and I can't bear to stuff up the amazing print by cutting it wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marimekko! I sometimes go to the Melbourne store and gently stroke all their beautiful things! I hope you find the perfect pattern for it!

      Delete
  12. I'm so behind on my blog reading. This is so beautiful! Lovely gorgeous silk and the perfect top to show it off. I missed my silk top making this year too. The cold weather snuck up on me catching me unawares. Ah well next spring will do

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's just glorious!! What sublime fabric, and that really is the perfect pattern to showcase it. I really like your method for finishing the neck - what a great way to avoid that sharp curve! I'll be remembering that one. Here's hoping for some unseasonably warm weather during May, because that top deserves to be seen and appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle - I knew you'd love it! I am kicking myself that I didn't make it sooner. It's ok, I look at it every day in my wardrobe and it makes me smile in anticipation of summer!

      Delete
  14. I love this top - it looks good on you and the fabric is soo beautifull.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment